The mandate of the Beach and East Toronto Historical Society is to foster and promote interest in the social, cultural and architectural history of the area from Coxwell Avenue east to Victoria Park Avenue and from Lake Ontario north to the old boundary between the former City of Toronto and the Borough of East York.
Click here to see a Google map of Historical Society boundaries. Created by Rob Rohr, 2016
1976 Sports meeting
Courtesy TPL Digital Archive
1984 Toronto Sesquicentennial Exhibit
Opening at Beaches Library.
L to R, Barbara Myrvold, Rod Travers-Griffin,
Mayor Art Eggleton
1984 Toronto Sesquicentennial Exhibit Viewing,
The Beach started out as a summer retreat for city dwellers in the 1870s, and was never formally incorporated. East Toronto began as a railroad centre, and was an incorporated village and then a town from 1888 until 1908. The whole area was annexed to the City of Toronto in 1909.
The Society was formed by local residents in 1974, at the invitation of staff at Beaches and Main Street (then Eastern) branches of Toronto Public Library, to preserve and promote the history of the local area.
Over the intervening years, the volunteer society has presented regular meetings at the local libraries and other venues around the area; offered walking tours; coordinated research projects funded by the federal government’s Summer Canada employment programs in 1983, 1984 and 1987; assisted Heritage Toronto in the production of historical plaques and worked with Toronto Public Library on the publication of two local history books: The Beach in Pictures and Historical Walking Tour of Kew Beach.
The Society is an affiliate of the Ontario Historical Society, and a member of the Toronto Historical Association.
A special thanks to